As a homeowner, your garage is likely not one of the first things you consider when you think about preventative maintenance. Dave’s Garage Doors is here to help, offering our expertise on garage door maintenance in Metro Portland, Salem, and Vancouver. Most homeowners think about their roof, foundation, and heating and air conditioning units as areas of their home that need to be appropriately maintained. But one thing you should not neglect is your garage door operating system! It’s easy to overlook, but you likely use it and see it every day. Your garage door plays a critical role in keeping your home and family safe every day. Our team offers a variety of garage door services, including garage door repair and maintenance. Find out why garage door maintenance is so important from our team of experts. We’re happy to let you know how often you should have your garage door maintained, what goes into servicing garage doors and openers, how routine maintenance can save you money on repair costs, reasons your garage door needs maintenance now, and some additional benefits of garage door maintenance.
How Often Should You Have Maintenance on Your Garage Door?
This is a common question, and the answer varies depending upon how often you use your garage door. If you park your vehicle in your garage, you likely use your door several times a day. In this case, you should have your garage door serviced and maintained every year. Many homeowners use their garages to store their stuff while their cars are parked in the driveway. If this describes you, you might not use your garage quite as much, but you should still have it serviced about every other year. Think of your garage door like your vehicle. The more you operate it, the more frequently you’ll need to have it serviced and maintained. Your garage door system is similar, and the better you take care of it, the longer it will last. Our garage door experts will come to your home in Vancouver, WA or Salem, Portland, or Beaverton, OR and provide top-notch garage door maintenance and repair services.
What Goes into Servicing Garage Doors & Openers?
You might be surprised to learn how complex your garage door system is and how many services our team provides. When one of our experienced technicians visits your home to complete a service on your garage door or opener, you can rest assured they’ll be thorough. Each of our technicians uses a 27-point checklist, ensuring every aspect of your system is inspected. We make sure every part of your garage door is tested, lubricated, adjusted, and balanced, but that’s not all. We also make any minor repairs as necessary to ensure your garage door and opener are in the best condition possible. Our experts service carriage-style garage doors, and more.
Regular Safety Checks Are Essential
Your home’s garage door is probably the largest moving part of it. A faulty garage door is dangerous to every member of your household, including your children and pets. If your garage door malfunctions, it can potentially close at the most inopportune moment. Don’t take any chances when it comes to a garage door injuring a pet, child, or your vehicle. Garage doors can close suddenly or fail to open as expected at times. While your garage door makes your life easier and acts as a safety barrier to your home, it can also be dangerous if you fail to take care of it, causing significant safety concerns. Annual maintenance from our garage door repair specialists will ensure that any potentially hazardous issues are inspected and repaired in a timely manner.
Routine Maintenance Can Save You Money on Repair Costs
We all want to save money and be safe. The longer an issue with your garage door goes without repair, the more expensive it can end up being to fix it. Many garage door problems will slowly degrade and get worse over time. A simple fix now could become an expensive replacement if left unattended. An unbalanced garage door or roller that’s not moving correctly could put undue strain on the door opener and significantly shorten its lifespan. A garage door opener that opens or closes at the wrong speed can potentially cause structural damage to the door. As a homeowner, you don’t want to deal with either issue. That’s why you should schedule your routine maintenance service from our trusted garage door company in Oregon.
Five Reasons Your Garage Door Needs Maintenance Now
Whether you realize it or not, there’s a decent chance your garage door is currently in need of maintenance or repair. Garage doors are one of the most neglected parts of many homes. Check out these five reasons you need garage door maintenance now:
- Gaps Between the Door & Ground – Garage doors tend to develop gaps from warping caused by water or other elements. Not keeping these areas sealed means increasing your chances of letting critters, rodents, and intruders into your garage door. From there, they can vandalize your belongings and potentially get into your home.
- Convenience – Garage doors are very convenient, allowing you to escape the hot or cold as well as the rain and snow. Having a broken garage door is a significant inconvenience. Don’t find yourself stuck in the cold having to hassle with getting in and out of your home.
- Avoiding Unexpected Repairs – Minimize unnecessary expenses and ensure your garage door stays in perfect working order all year. Simple maintenance goes a long way in preventing major garage door issues down the road.
- Properly Working Sensors – The sensors are among the most critical parts of your garage door. If they aren’t working properly, your door won’t close. Your sensors might need to be cleaned or realigned, especially if you notice that your door is shutting in an irregular manner. You should also keep clutter clear of the sensor areas.
- Keep Rust at Bay – Garage doors have many springs and cables. If any of them become rusty or damaged, they could fail eventually. Having them checked out by our professionals each year can keep rust at bay and keep you safe.
Additional Benefits of Garage Door Maintenance
By now, you likely realize how important garage door maintenance is. But there may still be some additional benefits you haven’t considered. Check out these other benefits of garage door maintenance:
- Safety – Don’t allow your garage door to become a hazard to you and your family. Many people are injured each year from garage door accidents. You could damage your vehicle in addition to injuring your kids or pets. Garage doors are heavy and can cause significant destruction if they fall.
- Convenience – Your garage door is likely your most-used entrance and exit. Most of us don’t think about how much of a hassle it is until something’s wrong with our garage door. Having to park out in the cold and not having your vehicle secured leaves something to be desired.
- Increased Lifespan – Your garage door and opener are an investment. Failing to have them maintained can shorten their Problems such as unaligned tracks, faulty safety sensors, and lack of lubrication can cause long-term damage to your garage door system. That means you’ll potentially have to replace them sooner.
- Avoiding Costly & Unexpected Repairs – A garage door that breaks suddenly can be quite costly to repair or replace. Most general repairs are not overly expensive, but an unexpected broken garage door can be a hit to your pocketbook. In many cases, garage door replacements are a result of a general lack of maintenance. Neglecting your garage door and opener can cost you lots of money and hassle.
- Increasing Property Value – Homeowners are looking for houses that are in great shape. A new or well taken care of garage door could potentially increase your property value or the resale value of your home. Buyers will like the idea of not having to worry about their new home’s garage door.
Trust the Experienced Professionals at Dave’s Garage Doors
When was the last time you had preventative maintenance done on your garage door and opener? If it’s been more than a year or two, give us a call. Dave’s Garage Doors has been serving homeowners in the Portland Metro, Salem, and Vancouver areas since 1981. We service overhead garage doors, custom garage doors, and more. We’re proud to be the largest family-owned-and-operated garage door repair company in the area. Contact us today to schedule a service call and experience the personalized service you deserve.